imode phones | i-mode phone reviews and comparisons
news | Sony Ericsson IS coming
For those of you eagerly awaiting the release of Sony Ericsson’s first i-mode handset, the K610m (as revealed by imodephones way back in June!), I can bring you another snipped of information; namely that Sony Ericsson have put up a preview page for the phone, which you can see here
I can’t wait!
news | Samsung sings like a bird
Samsung had gone a little quiet over the last few i-mode® months, but like buses, we’ve waited for one (the Samsung S401i), and they’ve given us two great new phones:
I mentioned this phone a while ago—if only on the sly—but now it’s arrival is imminent. As you can see from the image to the right, it’s a clamshell handset that looks very much like the S400i (as it’s name should probably hint towards), though it’s smaller, lighter, and less well specified; it’s a new, nicer entry level Samsung:
- Size: 88 × 44 × 19.8 mm and 77g
- USB and Bluetooth connectivity
- 128 × 160 pixel, 64K colour screen
- 300K pixel still-camera (maximum resolution 640 × 480 pixels)
- 3GP video camera (maximum resolution 176 × 144 pixels)
- AAC and Polyphonic ring-tones (no MP3 unfortunately)
Now this is a very nice looking handset. Very nice. An exceptionally thin sliding design, reminiscent of many of the recent (non i-mode®) Samsung handsets, it’s sure to be a winner. With:
- Tiny form-factor: 101.5 × 51.5 × 15.9 mm and weighing just 95g
- USB, Bluetooth and Memory Card connectivity
- An ultra high resolution 240 × 320 pixel, 260K colour screen
- A 2 Mega-Pixel still-camera (maximum resolution 1600 × 1200 pixels)
- 3GP video camera (maximum resolution 352 × 288 pixels) plus MP4 video playing
- MP3/AAC audio and Polyphonic ring-tones
- Flash Lite 1.0 and DoJa 2.5 enabled
With the S401i, Samsung will bring real quality to the entry level flip-phone, and there’s no doubting the Z650i, it really does look like a market leader, and can only strengthen the i-mode® line-up in the UK.
There’s been quite a dizzying range of phones released by O2 since it’s launched in Q4 2005, so to mark the upcoming first anniversary of i-mode®, I’ll be putting together a comparison table of all i-mode® phones, to make it easier to make the decision of which i-mode® phone is right for you.
news | LG L343i coming very soon
In a flurry of activity, two new i-mode® handsets are soon to be released by O2, one of which I have considerably more information about that the other.
The LG L343i is a clamshell, entry level i-mode handset with a 300K pixel camera. There’s no video and no mp3 support (MFI, SMAF, MIDI and AMR only), but it will have bluetooth and the latest version of the Access CNF+ browser for advanced i-mode® browsing.
One more snippet of news for you: the Motorola L6i is currently available from the O2 Shop and the L7i will be coming very, very soon. There’s also some movement on a new Samsung handset (the S401i) that I’ll say a little more about (hopefully with pictures) in a couple of days.
news | Sony Ericsson K610i revealed
Always first with the exclusives, imodephones can exclusively reveal that it won’t be long before the gorgeous Sony Ericsson K610i 3G phone will be coming to i-mode® in the UK.
A few facts to catch your eye:
- It’s 3G!
- Support for up to 1GB in memory sticks
- 2 Megapixel camera
- MP3/AAC media player
- Bluetooth/USB connectivity
There’s no doubt that the Sony Ericsson K610i is going to blow all of the existing i-mode® handsets out of the water, and it’s a great sign for the technology that a market leader like Sony Ericsson is making the effort to produce an i-mode® phone—and a 3G one at that.
In a moment of madness, O2 have decided to give away eBay vouchers to promote their Samsung i-mode® phones. The vouchers given away are as follows:
- £100 eBay voucher with the Samsung S400i slide phone
- £75 eBay voucher with the Samsung S500i flip-phone
Older news can be found in the in the News Archive →